2 Myths That May Be Holding You Back From Buying
Fannie Mae’s article, “What Consumers (Don’t) Know About Mortgage Qualification Criteria,” revealed that “only 5 to 16 percent of respondents know the correct ranges for key mortgage qualification criteria.”
Myth #1: I need a 20% Down Payment
Fannie Mae’s survey revealed that consumers overestimate the down payment funds needed to qualify for a home loan. According to the report, 76% of Americans either don’t know (40%) or are misinformed (36%) about the minimum down payment required.
Many believe that they need at least 20% down to buy their dream home, but many programs actually let buyers put down as little as 3%.
A report released by Down Payment Resource shows that 65% of first-time homebuyers recently purchased their homes with a down payment of 6% or less. Many renters may actually be able to enter the housing market sooner than they ever imagined with new programs that have emerged allowing less cash out of pocket.
Myth #2: I need a 780 FICO® Score or Higher to Buy
The survey revealed that 59% of Americans either don’t know (54%) or are misinformed (5%) about what FICO® score is necessary to qualify.
Many Americans believe a ‘good’ credit score is 780 or higher.
To help debunk this myth, let’s take a look at Ellie Mae’s latest Origination Insight Report, which focuses on recently closed (approved) loans.
As you can see on the right, 54.3% of approved mortgages had a credit score of 600-749.
Whether buying your first home or moving up to your dream home, knowing your options will make the mortgage process easier. Your dream home may already be within your reach.
- Why Pre-Approval Should Be Your First Step
- Where Are Interest Rates Headed?
- The Power of Pre-Approval for Agents
- No Lender Fees
- How Low Interest Rates Increase Your Purchasing Power
- Flipped Property Finance Options
- FICO Scores
- Duplex Financing Options
- Discount Points vs Premium Pricing
- Delayed Financing Options
- Jumbo - Credit Challenged
Home Buyer Tips
- What You Need To Know About VA Loans
- USDA-Wide Open Spaces
- The Perfect Home Loan Application
- The Mortgage Process
- Student Loan Debt
- Rising Rent - No Problem
- Rent vs. Buy
- Ready To Make An Offer? 4 Tips For Success
- Path 2 Buy
- Mortgage Insurance
- Look for a Luxury Home? Now’s The Time To Act!
- How We Safe Guard Your Information
- How to know if it’s a condo?
- Getting a Mortgage: Why So Much Paperwork?
- FHA 90 Day Property Flip Waiver
- Do’s and Don’ts During The Loan Process
- Condo Loans - Low Down Payment
- 5 Reasons Home Ownership is a Good Financial Investment
- 2 Myths That May Be Holding You Back From Buying
- Niche - Unique Mortgages
- Veterans Assistance Loan Benefits
- Reverse Mortgage
- Loan Programs - Pros & Cons
- Jumbo Loans
- HUD-184 Native American Program
- HomeStyle Renovation
- FHA 203k Streamline Rehab Loan
- FHA “Back-To-Work: Extenuating Circumstances” Program
- FHA - Home Ownership Opportunities
- FasTrac Approval Process
- 3 Reasons Why First-Time Home Buyers Love FHA
- Home Ready Program
- Jumbo Plus Loans
- Union Advantage
- NHF Platinum - Down Payment Assistance
- HomeScout: Your Unfair Advantage
- FHA - Refinance
- FHA - Limited Savings
- FHA - Benefits
- FHA - Credit Requirements
- Fannie Mae - 97% LTV
- Family Opportunity Program
- Jumbo - Medical Loan Program
- Luxury Home - 2 Million Max
- Non-Resident Alien Home Loan